Voters in Malta go to the polls for the Maltese general election, 2008. [http:--www.iht.com-articles-ap-2008-03-08-europe-EU-POL-Malta-Elections.php (AP via "International Herald Tribune")] hggfd
- The Nationalist Party wins the general election in Malta, by a relative majority of 1,580 vote over the Labour Party.
- Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and Luxembourg agree to take in 141 migrants, 67 of them unaccompanied children, who were rescued on Friday by the MV "Aquarius"; Malta allows the ship to dock.
- Malta detains German migrant rescue boat MV "Sea Watch 3", which had been docked in Valletta for repairs, as it attempts to head into the Mediterranean Sea to rescue migrants off the Libyan coast.
- Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat says that migrant rescue ship MV "Lifeline", stranded in international waters with over 200 rescued people on board for five days, has been granted permission to dock on the island and will do so later today. Muscat says that those on board will be split among Malta and seven other European Union nations.
- Container ship MV "Alexander Maersk" is allowed by Italian authorities to dock in Pozzallo, Sicily, after several days. There, it discharges over 100 rescued migrants. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte says German migrant rescue ship MV "Lifeline" will be permitted to dock in Malta in a deal that will see some of the migrants on board come to Italy.