Voters in Malta go to the polls for the Maltese general election, 2008. [http:--www.iht.com-articles-ap-2008-03-08-europe-EU-POL-Malta-Elections.php (AP via "International Herald Tribune")] hggfd
- The Nationalist Party wins the general election in Malta, by a relative majority of 1,580 vote over the Labour Party.
- A double decker tourist bus collides with low-lying tree branches in Zurrieq, Malta, killing two adults with six others being critically injured.
- Malta imposes a freeze on Pilatus Bank. The bank's Iranian chairman Ali Sadr Hashemi Nejad was arrested and charged in the United States earlier this week, accused of breaching United States sanctions against Iran.
- Malta arrests 10 people over the investigative journalist's murder on October 16.
- Twenty-three European Union countries sign a defence integration pact known as the Permanent Structured Cooperation. NATO members Denmark, Portugal and the United Kingdom (withdrawal from EU underway), and non-NATO members Malta and Ireland, opt out.