- ABC News
- The President of the United States Barack Obama says that a deal has been reached with the Republican Party to extend the Bush era tax cuts.
- Democrat Barack Obama wins the 2008 United States presidential election after beating Republican John McCain, becoming the first African American to be elected to the office of President of the United States.
- Republican Party adopts a platform at its national convention that is critical of George W. Bush and John McCain for their support of government bailouts of companies.
- United States Presidential Election, 2008: Senator John McCain (R- AZ) announces his candidacy for president on the "Late Show with David Letterman".
- Tom Noe, a rare-coin dealer and fundraiser for the United States Republican Party, is sentenced to two years jail for illegally channelling US$45,000 into President George W. Bush's re-election campaign.