U.S. Republican presidential nominee John McCain is endorsed by President George W. Bush.
- ABC News
- Dignitaries gather at the memorial service for U.S. Senator John McCain at the Washington National Cathedral, at which former U.S. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama are among those who eulogize McCain.
- The President of the United States Barack Obama says that a deal has been reached with the Republican Party to extend the Bush era tax cuts.
- Democrat Barack Obama wins the 2008 United States presidential election after beating Republican John McCain, becoming the first African American to be elected to the office of President of the United States.
- Republican Party adopts a platform at its national convention that is critical of George W. Bush and John McCain for their support of government bailouts of companies.
- United States Presidential Election, 2008: Senator John McCain (R- AZ) announces his candidacy for president on the "Late Show with David Letterman".