Brett Favre, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers announces his retirement from the NFL after 17 years.
- Brett Favre played one of the most memorable games of his career, leading the Green Bay Packers to a win over the Oakland Raiders, 41-7, the day after the death of his father, Irvin.
- Nevada prison authorities release former NFL player O. J. Simpson on parole after serving nine years for a 2007 Las Vegas armed robbery. Previously, a jury had acquitted Simpson of the 1995 murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman.
- In Florida, United States, Eric Rivera Jr. is convicted of second-degree murder in the 2007 killing of NFL Washington Redskins player Sean Taylor during a burglary.
- Daryl Washington, an American football player with the Arizona Cardinals, is arrested on aggravated assault charges in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Former NFL 1st round draft pick punter for the New Orleans Saints Russell Erxleben is arrested on charges of wire fraud in an alleged Ponzi scheme.