The Italian city of Milan is selected to host the 2015 World Exposition after winning 86 to 65 in a vote against Turkish Izmir.
- Reuters via Yahoo! News
- A high court in Izmir, Turkey, rejects an appeal to release U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson.
- At least three people are killed and over 100 injured in a train derailment near Milan, Italy.
- Thirteen are killed and 34 others injured after a bus carrying Erasmus exchange students returning from the renowned Falles fireworks festival in Valencia, crashes near Freginals, Spain. The regional government of Catalonia said in a statement that, "... according to the latest data, the ill-fated bus had students from Hungary, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Italy, Peru, Bulgaria, Poland, Ireland, Japan, Ukraine, Holland, Belgium, France, Palestine, Turkey, (and) Greece."
- Expo 2015 opens in Milan, Italy, with the theme "Feeding the planet, energy for life" and with 145 countries participating.
- Vladimir Putin, the President of Russia, and Petro Poroshenko, the President of Ukraine, will meet at the sidelines of the Asia-Europe Meeting in Milan, Italy to discuss the conflict and supplies of natural gas.