Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf, by long tradition an honorary member of the AIK soccer club, concedes that he is a supporter of the rivaling club DjurgCNYrden.
- TT via Dagens Nyheter
- Sweden celebrates the 70th birthday of their King Carl XVI Gustaf, whose celebration was attended by fellow European royals, including Denmark's Margrethe II, former King of Spain Juan Carlos I and former Queen of the Netherlands Beatrix.
- Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden angers some Swedes by his praise of Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Negara of Brunai Hassanal Bolkiah.
- About 600 members of the Swedish neo-Nazi group Nordic Resistance Movement march through Gothenburg, and 10,000 people hold a counter-demonstration. More than 50 people are arrested and several people are injured during the protests.
- Sweden starts its largest military exercise in over 20 years. Nearly 20,000 troops are set to participate, including a contingent of over 1,000 U.S. soldiers. The drills will take place on and around the island of Gotland, including soldiers from NATO countries.
- In a surprise appointment by Pope Francis, Bishop Anders Arborelius is the first ever person from Sweden to become a cardinal.