Clinical trials for MVA85A, a new vaccine against tuberculosis, are started in South Africa.
- After a couple of days of delay, Zimbabwe frees 61 alleged mercenaries accused of connection to coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea and allows them return to South Africa. The men say they were told they were hired to guard mines in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. One man remains in Zimbabwe due to tuberculosis.
- A wall collapses onto playing children in Doornfontein, South Africa, killing three.
- Police arrest five suspects over a firebombing of a bus in Limpopo, South Africa that killed six people.
- Police say a firebombing of a bus in Driekop, South Africa, killed six people.
- Makhosi Khoza, leader of South Africa's African Democratic Change party, resigns just five months after the party formed.