Clinical trials for MVA85A, a new vaccine against tuberculosis, are started in South Africa.
- After a couple of days of delay, Zimbabwe frees 61 alleged mercenaries accused of connection to coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea and allows them return to South Africa. The men say they were told they were hired to guard mines in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. One man remains in Zimbabwe due to tuberculosis.
- A wall collapses onto playing children in Doornfontein, South Africa, killing three.
- Police arrest five suspects over a firebombing of a bus in Limpopo, South Africa that killed six people.
- Police say a firebombing of a bus in Driekop, South Africa, killed six people.
- South African officials determine that the country's ongoing listeriosis outbreak--which is already the world's deadliest listeriosis outbreak, killing over 180 people and sickening 1,000 more--was caused by contaminated "Polony" processed meat. The Ministry of Health issues a recall of contaminated products from RCL Foods and from Tiger Brands subsidiary company Enterprise Food and advises the public to avoid all processed meat products that are sold as ready-to-eat.