A general strike goes into its third day in Swaziland; strikers demand democratic elections and an end to absolute monarchy.
- Burkina Faso and Swaziland refuse to break relations with Taiwan and recognize the One-China policy despite being offered aid from China.
- An open truck smashes into the back of a van near Mbabane, Swaziland killing 65 girls and young women traveling to an annual dance festival.
- Thirty-eight girls and young women die in a crash and twenty others on board the truck receive injuries while travelling to the traditional Umhlanga ceremony in Swaziland.
- Swaziland, Africa's last absolute monarchy, announces that it will hold elections in September.
- Swaziland virgins perform an annual reed dance, paying homage to the king, pleasing tourists and compatriots.
- Teachers in Swaziland go on an open-ended strike in a dispute over pay.
- Police in Swaziland detain at least seven activists on their way to a pro-democracy church service in the city of Manzini.
- South Africa agrees to loan Swaziland 2.5 billion rand (US$368 million) to ease the latter's economic crisis.
- Thomas Masuku, a senior judge in Swaziland, is suspended over allegedly insults to King Mswati III.
- Police in Swaziland arrest any person in a group ahead of planned pro-democracy protests in the country.