War in Afghanistan (2001-present)
War in Afghanistan: United States-led troops kill more than 50 insurgents in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.
- The United States sends more troops to Afghanistan's southern Helmand province to shore up security forces who are facing sustained attacks from the Taliban.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.
- U.S. President Barack Obama announces that Operation Enduring Freedom's forces are "not winning" the war in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama announces a new military strategy for the War in North-West Pakistan and the War in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of 12,000 more soldiers into the Afghanistan War.