War in Afghanistan: United States-led troops kill more than 50 insurgents in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.
- A U.S. service member becomes the first U.S. military combat casualty in Afghanistan since January 2016 when he is killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol near the city of Lashkar Gah in Afghanistan's southern Helmand Province. Another American service member and six Afghan soldiers were also injured in the blast.
- The United States sends more troops to Afghanistan's southern Helmand province to shore up security forces who are facing sustained attacks from the Taliban.
- War in Afghanistan (2001-present):Afghanistan releases 65 prisoners from the Parwan Detention Facility despite concerns by the United States that the men were responsible for attacks on NATO and Afghan forces.
- War in Afghanistan (2001-present):The United States stops shipping supplies to Afghanistan through Pakistan due to protests over drone attacks.
- War in Afghanistan:President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai alleges that the U.S. armed forces are collaborating in some way with the Afghan Taliban in an effort to ensure that some troops remain after the scheduled 2014 pullout.
- A gunman in Afghan military uniform kills three U.S. soldiers in the southwestern Afghan province of Helmand.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.
- U.S. President Barack Obama announces that Operation Enduring Freedom's forces are "not winning" the war in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama announces a new military strategy for the War in North-West Pakistan and the War in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of 12,000 more soldiers into the Afghanistan War.