War in Afghanistan: United States-led troops kill more than 50 insurgents in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.
- A U.S. service member becomes the first U.S. military combat casualty in Afghanistan since January 2016 when he is killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol near the city of Lashkar Gah in Afghanistan's southern Helmand Province. Another American service member and six Afghan soldiers were also injured in the blast.
- The United States sends more troops to Afghanistan's southern Helmand province to shore up security forces who are facing sustained attacks from the Taliban.
- A gunman in Afghan military uniform kills three U.S. soldiers in the southwestern Afghan province of Helmand.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.
- U.S. President Barack Obama announces that Operation Enduring Freedom's forces are "not winning" the war in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama announces a new military strategy for the War in North-West Pakistan and the War in Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of 12,000 more soldiers into the Afghanistan War.
- A suicide attack kills two Afghans and one United States Army soldier and wounds 30 other people in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- War in Afghanistan: Afghan and U.S led coalition forces kill 20 insurgents while two Afghan policeman die in a bomb attack.
- Conflict in Afghanistan: U.S. Troops kill four Afghan police, after mistaking them for militants in the Girishk district of the Helmand Province.