War in Afghanistan: United States-led troops kill more than 50 insurgents in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.
- A U.S. service member becomes the first U.S. military combat casualty in Afghanistan since January 2016 when he is killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol near the city of Lashkar Gah in Afghanistan's southern Helmand Province. Another American service member and six Afghan soldiers were also injured in the blast.
- The United States sends more troops to Afghanistan's southern Helmand province to shore up security forces who are facing sustained attacks from the Taliban.
- A gunman in Afghan military uniform kills three U.S. soldiers in the southwestern Afghan province of Helmand.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.
- U.S. President Barack Obama announces that Operation Enduring Freedom's forces are "not winning" the war in Afghanistan.