Marie-Nolle Thmereau resigns as the President of New Caledonia.
President of New Caledonia, Marie-Noelle Themereau, has resigned.
- ABC News Australia
- Dozens of people in Vanuatu are in shelters as Cyclone Cook hits the island. It is due to pass through New Caledonia tomorrow.
- Category 3 Cyclone Cook hits Grand Terre, the main island of New Caledonia.
- A magnitude 7.0 earthquake hits off the coast of the Vanuatu island of Malakula, prompting the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) to issue a tsunami warning for the coasts of New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, which was later cancelled.
- New Caledonia's coalition government collapses after the pro-independence Caledonian Union party withdraws its support for President Philippe Gomes in a dispute over the use of New Caledonian flags.
- New Caledonia and its Loyalty Islands are simultaneously struck by a 7.0 earthquake and Tropical Cyclone Vania.
- New Caledonia President Philippe Gomes is indicted over alleged misuse of business contracts.
- The 2009 Pacific Mini Games closes in the Cook Islands. Fiji comes in first with 78 medals, while New Caledonia wins 66 medals.
- An estimated 20,000 people march through Noumea, New Caledonia, to denounce violent clashes by USTKE trade unionists against police.
- Philippe Gomes is elected President of New Caledonia.
- Pierre Ngaiohni is elected Vice President of New Caledonia.