War in Iraq: United States forces attack an insurgent position in Hussainiya a Shiite suburb north of Baghdad, inflicting casualties.
The deaths occurred during an American attack on a Shiite area on the outskirts of northern Baghdad late Friday and early Saturday.
- (AFP via Pakistan Daily Times
- New York Times
- War in Iraq: United States forces kill at least 25 members of a Shiite militia in a firefight.
- War in Iraq: United States troops in Iraq launch an offensive against Al Qaeda-linked Sunni militants and alleged Iranian linked Shiite militants.
- Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr claims that he is developing a new force to fight United States forces in Iraq.
- War in Iraq: United States Vice President Dick Cheney visits Baghdad, three days before the fifth anniversary of the 2003 invasion.
- A United States raid and air strike on a Shiite militant base in Sadr City results in 32 deaths.
- War in Iraq: United States forces launch an airborne assault on a desert compound south of Baghdad in search of Sunni militants in the first phase of Operation Marne Husky.
- War in Iraq: A major international conference starts in Baghdad to look at ways to stabilise Iraq featuring representatives from Iran, Syria and the United States.
- U.S. lawmakers break for summer recess.
- Millions of United States residents and visitors are able to witness a total solar eclipse that crosses through North America. It is the first total solar eclipse visible across the entire contiguous United States since the solar eclipse of June 8, 1918.
- United States President Donald Trump, together with Senators Tom Cotton and David Perdue, unveils the RAISE Act, a plan that would, if passed, reduce legal immigration to the U.S. by half each year, and implement a "merit-based system" prioritizing skilled workers, instead of the current family-based chain migration system.