War in Iraq: United States forces attack an insurgent position in Hussainiya a Shiite suburb north of Baghdad, inflicting casualties.
The deaths occurred during an American attack on a Shiite area on the outskirts of northern Baghdad late Friday and early Saturday.
- (AFP via Pakistan Daily Times
- New York Times
- War in Iraq: United States forces kill at least 25 members of a Shiite militia in a firefight.
- War in Iraq: United States troops in Iraq launch an offensive against Al Qaeda-linked Sunni militants and alleged Iranian linked Shiite militants.
- Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr claims that he is developing a new force to fight United States forces in Iraq.
- War in Iraq: United States Vice President Dick Cheney visits Baghdad, three days before the fifth anniversary of the 2003 invasion.
- A United States raid and air strike on a Shiite militant base in Sadr City results in 32 deaths.
- War in Iraq: United States forces launch an airborne assault on a desert compound south of Baghdad in search of Sunni militants in the first phase of Operation Marne Husky.
- War in Iraq: A major international conference starts in Baghdad to look at ways to stabilise Iraq featuring representatives from Iran, Syria and the United States.
- The summit announces it is unable to gain agreement on climate change between the United States and the other 19 members of this international forum.
- The United States extends the restrictions deadline for refugees.
- History of the Philippines (1898-1946), During the annual State of the Nation Address through the Congress of the Philippines, President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte has outright demanded that the United States return the controversial Balangiga bells, taken during one of the campaigns of the Philippine-American War as spoils of war. Previous attempts to recover the bells have all failed so far.