NASA mission scientists raise concerns that ongoing prolonged Martian dust storms could disable the Mars Exploration Rovers.
- AP via the Washington Post
- NASA successfully launches its MAVEN space probe on a mission to study Mars' atmosphere.
- NASA announces that methane in Mars' atmosphere "could be produced either by geological activity or by life."
- As predicted by NASA, the Apollo-group-type asteroid 2012 TC4 (approximately 15 m in diameter) passes a distance of 0.0003352 AU mi from Earth, well within the Moon's orbit.
- Results of the Juno mission are announced by NASA researchers, revealing new and unexpected information concerning Jupiter's poles, meteorology, and magnetic and gravitational fields.
- Peggy Whitson, commander of the International Space Station (ISS), breaks the record for most total days spent in space by any NASA astronaut, at more than 534 days.