China shuts down a chemical plant associated with deaths in Panama from tainted medicine and two petfood plants associated with the deaths of pets in the United States.
- AP via CNN
- The White House criticizes China's decision to place tariffs of up to 25% on 128 U.S. imports including pork and wine which was in retaliation to U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to introduce tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminium imports.
- China launches an oil futures market, with contracts denominated in yuan, in a bid to compete with oil benchmarks from the United States and Europe.
- Teams of United States-based researchers, composed of American, Chinese and South Korean scientists, successfully edit a piece of faulty DNA that causes a deadly form of heart disease from cells in human embryos.
- Nobel Peace Laureate Liu Xiaobo, who has been incarcerated in China for organizing the pro-democracy manifesto "Charter 08," is suffering from late-stage liver cancer which is worsening. The Chinese hospital treating him and foreign doctors, who examined Liu the weekend, disagree on future treatment. Germany, the United States, UK, and other countries have appealed that Liu be allowed to go to the hospital of his choice.
- Panama severs diplomatic ties with Taiwan and establishes formal relations with China.