Wesfarmers buys Coles Group for $A22 billion in Australia's biggest corporate deal.
- Sydney Morning Herald
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, on a trip to Shanghai, China, announces that the Australian dollar is set to trade directly with the Chinese yuan, becoming the third currency to do so.
- Australia's National Broadband Network and telecommunications company Telstra reach an A$11 billion dollar deal to allow the network to use Telstra's existing network and infrastructure.
- Australia's government announces a A$43-billion investment for the National Broadband Network.
- Australia's Senate approves a $42-billion economic stimulus package.
- Westpac signs an implementation agreement for its take over of the St George Bank, creating the largest bank in Australia with a market capitalisation of A$66 billion.