Corporal Bill Henry "Willie" Apiata of the Special Air Service of New Zealand is awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery under fire in Afghanistan in 2004.
A New Zealand soldier has been awarded the Victoria Cross for the first time since World War II.
- ABC News Australia
- Pakistani forces rescue Canadian Joshua Boyle, American Caitlan Coleman, and their family, in the Kurram Valley. The family had been kidnapped by the Taliban nearly five years ago in Afghanistan's Wardak Province.
- A suicide bombing occurs at a checkpoint near the Kabul International Cricket Stadium in Kabul, Afghanistan, killing at least three people and injuring five.
- A suicide bomber attacks a convoy in Afghanistan's Kabul province, killing a Georgian soldier and three civilians and wounding 13 others, including six Resolute Support personnel.
- An explosion kills at least 29 people and injures dozens more at a Shia mosque in Herat, Afghanistan.
- The number of people displaced globally totals 65.6 million after an addition of 10.3 million people displaced in 2016. Syria, Colombia, Afghanistan, Iraq and South Sudan are the countries in the top five.