Corporal Bill Henry "Willie" Apiata of the Special Air Service of New Zealand is awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery under fire in Afghanistan in 2004.
A New Zealand soldier has been awarded the Victoria Cross for the first time since World War II.
- ABC News Australia
- A suicide bombing occurs at a checkpoint near the Kabul International Cricket Stadium in Kabul, Afghanistan, killing at least three people and injuring five.
- A suicide bomber attacks a convoy in Afghanistan's Kabul province, killing a Georgian soldier and three civilians and wounding 13 others, including six Resolute Support personnel.
- An explosion kills at least 29 people and injures dozens more at a Shia mosque in Herat, Afghanistan.
- The number of people displaced globally totals 65.6 million after an addition of 10.3 million people displaced in 2016. Syria, Colombia, Afghanistan, Iraq and South Sudan are the countries in the top five.
- A terrorist attack, involving a blast and gunfire, occurs at a Shia mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan, killing several people.
- An Afghan soldier kills 3 U.S. troops and injures 1 other in Achin, Nangarhar Province. The Taliban claims responsibility, saying the Afghan soldier was one of several Taliban infiltrators in the Afghan Armed Forces.
- At least 18 people are killed and 6 others injured in a car bomb explosion in Khost, eastern Afghanistan.
- A Taliban raid kills at least 20 Afghan police officers in southern Afghanistan.
- A U.S. special forces service member is killed while taking part in an operation against ISIL militants in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar Province.
- Two U.S. service members are killed and a third is injured during a raid against ISIL militants in Afghanistan's Nangarhar Province.