A report commissioned by the Solomon Islands Government is critical of the handling of last year's Honiara riots by the Regional Assistance Mission to the Solomon Islands (RAMSI).
- AAP via News Limited
- Solomon Islands police and members of the Regional Assistance Mission to the Solomon Islands (RAMSI) raid the office of Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare in Honiara.
- A farewell ceremony in Honiara ends the 14 year RAMSI mission in the Solomon Islands.
- Heavy rainfall from a tropical low causes flooding at Honiara, Solomon Islands, leading to at least 16 deaths and thousands of people being evacuated.
- A 7.7 magnitude earthquake strikes 204 miles southeast of Honiara, Solomon Islands with no reported casualties or damage.
- A 7.9 magnitude earthquake hits west of Panguna, Papua New Guinea, beneath Bougainville Island. No immediate reports of casualties or major damage. Tsunami alert for Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands is rescinded.
- A 7.8 magnitude earthquake strikes off the coast of Makira in the Solomon Islands, causing infrastructure damage, yet no casualties have been reported in the hours following the quake.
- Tsunami warnings are issued for the Pacific region, including Indonesia and the Solomon Islands, following a 7.9 magnitude earthquake east of Papua New Guinea. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center later reports the threat has largely passed.
- The United States Geological Survey also reports that a magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck off the coast of Malaita island, Solomon Islands. However, no tsunami warning has been issued.
- A magnitude 7.0 earthquake hits off the coast of the Vanuatu island of Malakula, prompting the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) to issue a tsunami warning for the coasts of New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, which was later cancelled.
- Researchers discover a biofluorescent hawksbill sea turtle, glowing bright red and green, near the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific Ocean. This is the first time scientists have found biofluorescence in a reptile in the wild. The hawksbill sea turtle is an endangered species.