All three men charged with supporting Tamil Tigers have been granted bail in Melbourne.
All three men charged with supporting Sri Lanka's Tamil Tigers rebel group have been granted bail.
- ABC News Australia
- Australian voters in South Australia, the Melbourne division of Batman, and the Perth electoral district of Cottesloe go to the polls in three separate elections.
- The U.S. state of Alaska eliminates the posting of bail in criminal cases, replacing it with a points-based system, rating the defendant on their previous criminal history, their danger to the public, and their probability of showing up to court hearings.
- Nineteen people are injured after a car crashes into pedestrians at the corner of Flinders Street and Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, Australia. The driver is arrested. Victoria Police believe that the incident was a "deliberate act" but not terrorism-related.
- In Brighton, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, a gunman kills one man and holds one woman hostage before he is shot dead by Victoria Police. The incident is being treated as an act of terrorism. Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has claimed responsibility for the attack but Victoria Police claim that there is little evidence to suggest a connection.
- A charter plane crashes into a Direct Factory Outlets shopping centre in Melbourne, Australia, shortly after taking off from Essendon Airport, killing the five people on board.