Felisa Miceli, the Argentine Economy Minister, resigns over approximately $60,000 found in a bag in her office.
- Reuters via the Scotsman
- Following a court order that payments to most bondholders be stopped until holdouts were paid, Argentina has defaulted on some of its bonds after negotiations fell short of reaching a deal with hedge fund investors demanding a full payout of US$1.3 billion on bonds.
- A scandal erupts in Argentina when a Venezuelan businessman is caught trying to smuggle $800,000 into the country on a plane belonging to Enarsa, Argentina's government-owned energy company.
- Venezuela buys a further US $312 million of Argentina's national debt, adding to the US $1 billion already purchased. The government of Hugo Chvez says that the scheme will further South American integration.
- Mauricio Macri, a member of the National Congress of Argentina and president of Boca Juniors, is elected as the Chief of Government of Buenos Aires.
- A fire in a building housing the Portuguese, Tunisian, Argentinian and Belgian embassies in Stockholm, Sweden injures 14 people. A man is arrested on suspicion of arson.