A Somali peace conference in Mogadishu gets off to a bad start as it is disrupted by mortar shells.
Somalia's much-delayed peace conference has gotten off to a rocky start with seven mortar shells exploding near the Mogadishu venue.
- AFP via ABC
- War in Somalia: Eight people are killed in a mortar attack in Somalia's capital Mogadishu.
- Two car bombs kill at least 25 people, mostly police officers, near the national theater area in Mogadishu, Somalia, two weeks after a similar attack killed hundreds. Islamist group Al-Shabaab claims responsibility.
- At least 276 people are killed when a truck filled with explosives detonates outside a hotel in the capital Mogadishu, becoming the worst terrorist attack in Somalia's history.
- Al-Shabaab militants attack a military base outside the Somalian capital Mogadishu, with 15 soldiers reported dead.
- A United States Navy SEAL is killed, becoming the first U.S. service member killed in Somalia since 1993, and three others are injured in a gunfight with al-Shabaab militants, west of Mogadishu.