A law legalising abortion in the first ten weeks of pregnancy comes into effect in Portugal.
- Reuters via News Limited
- Under new guidelines to come into force from April 30, clinics which charge for pregnancy services, including abortions, will be able to advertise on radio and television in the United Kingdom, after the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice ruled there was no justification for barring such clinics from advertising their services.
- Abortion in Mexico: Mexico City's Legislative Assembly votes to legalise abortion on demand during the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Following a recent referendum, the Portuguese Parliament votes to legalise abortion until the tenth week of pregnancy.
- Portugal votes on an abortion referendum which despite failing due to low turnout, has a clear result in favor of legalizing abortion, prompting Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates to say abortion will be legalized through the parliament.
- Women on Waves, a group that provides abortions in international waters for women in countries where the procedure is outlawed, is denied access to Portuguese territorial waters. The Portuguese government has placed warships in the vicinity to enforce the decision.