North Korea's military seeks talks with the United States to discuss "peace and security on the Korean peninsula."
- North Korea announces its readiness to declare war on the United States after the country previously stated that they felt threatened as U.S. military forces approach the Korean Peninsula.
- North Korea warns against an underway joint military drill by South Korea and the United States, stating that the exercise could jeopardize a recent easing of tension on the Korean Peninsula.
- North Korea renews war threats against South Korea and the United States, saying conditions "for a simmering nuclear war" have been created on the Korean peninsula. The country also says it is cutting a military hotline, which facilitates the travel of South Korean workers to a joint industrial complex in Kaesong.
- North Korea calls for the end of hostilities with the United States and a nuclear free Korean Peninsula, to restart talks; in its annual New Year editorial.
- North Korea says that the recent flight of U.S. aircraft off the coast of North Korea amounts to a declaration of war.