The African kingdom of Lesotho declares a food crisis due to UN report showing a "major food gap" for 20% of the population.
- Eleven African nations including all the members of the African Great Lakes region sign a United Nations brokered peace deal for the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- African countries boycott the United Nations climate talks in Barcelona, Spain, after saying goals set by industrialised countries are too low.
- Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi says he will demand a permanent place in the United Nations Security Council for Africa and compensation worth 777 trillion dollars for years of colonialism in New York later this month.
- An official for the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warns that a million people in Africa require assistance after floods have killed more than 200 people in recent weeks.
- The Terrafrica partnership, a US$4 billion, 12-year campaign supported by the African Union, World Bank, United Nations, European Commission, and regional African governments, and aimed at fighting current, and preventing future desertification in Africa, begins.