Six Swiss Army recruits are killed by an avalanche on the Jungfrau mountain in Switzerland.
- Two trains collide in Andermatt railway station in the Canton of Uri, Switzerland, injuring around 30 people.
- At least five people are injured, two seriously, after a man attacks people with a chainsaw in Schaffhausen, Switzerland. A manhunt is underway for the suspect.
- Swiss voters approve a referendum to phase out nuclear power in Switzerland and increase renewable energy.
- A small Swiss-owned plane crashes in the Portuguese village of Tires, west of Lisbon, killing at least five people.
- An avalanche on Mount Nasu in Japan's Tochigi Prefecture, kills at least eight schoolchildren while the students were on a mountaineering excursion. There are three students and three teachers missing.
- At least four skiers are killed in an avalanche at the Tignes resort in France.
- Voters in Switzerland approve a referendum that makes it easier for third-generation immigrants to become citizens.
- At least 14 Indian Army soldiers and four civilians are killed in a series of avalanches near the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
- An Italian rescue official says a number of people have been killed by an avalanche, possibly connected to Wednesday's earthquakes, that buried a ski resort on a slope of the Gran Sasso mountain in Italy's Abruzzo region. About 30 guests and staff were at the hotel. The only survivors are two men who had been outside when the disaster struck.
- The leaders of northern and southern Cyprus meet in Switzerland to restart talks about reuniting the island.