Simn Trinidad, a high-ranking member of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, is found guilty of conspiracy to hold three Americans hostage by a U.S. court.
- Ricardo Palmera, better known as Simon Trinidad, one of top seven Colombian rebel group, FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) is arrested in Ecuador.
- The Nobel Prize committee awards American Richard Thaler the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel "for his contributions to behavioral economics." His work focuses on the psychology of the human conflict of what we plan for the financial present versus what we plan for the future.
- Tropical Storm Nate heads for the Gulf Coast of the United States after causing dozens of deaths in Central America and severe flooding in the Nicaraguan town of Rivas.
- An apparent ambush in Niger near the Malian border leaves three U.S. Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers dead during a joint patrol.
- The Trump administration, through the Department of State and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, expels 15 Cuban diplomats, after pulling half of its own embassy staff from Havana on Sept. 29, due to the alleged failure of Cuba to take appropriate steps to protect American personnel against the mysterious health attacks.