Ral Castro, the interim leader of Cuba, sets a date in late October for local elections.
- President of Cuba Ral Castro announces he will not seek another term as president when his current one expires in 2018. He also states he will seek to put term limits and age caps for political offices in Cuba, including the presidency.
- Cuban President Ral Castro pledges to ease state control of the economy.
- Fidel Castro temporarily transfers the duties of the Cuban presidency to brother Ral during a surgical operation.
- The Trump administration, through the Department of State and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, expels 15 Cuban diplomats, after pulling half of its own embassy staff from Havana on Sept. 29, due to the alleged failure of Cuba to take appropriate steps to protect American personnel against the mysterious health attacks.
- Hurricane Irma makes landfall in Cuba. The death toll across the Caribbean is at least 25 people,