Ral Castro, the interim leader of Cuba, sets a date in late October for local elections.
- President of Cuba Ral Castro announces he will not seek another term as president when his current one expires in 2018. He also states he will seek to put term limits and age caps for political offices in Cuba, including the presidency.
- Cuban President Ral Castro pledges to ease state control of the economy.
- Fidel Castro temporarily transfers the duties of the Cuban presidency to brother Ral during a surgical operation.
- A senior European External Action Service official says that the European Union, in order to protect its companies doing business with Iran, could implement "blocking regulations" based on a legal framework set up in 1996 for E.U. trade with Cuba, should the United States pull out of the 2015 nuclear deal and restore its sanctions.
- The Cuban Parliament approves moving the country's municipal elections to March, and the presidential election to April, when President Raul Castro is expected to step down.