President Luiz Incio Lula da Silva announces plans to build a nuclear-powered submarine to patrol the waters off Brazil's coast at a cost of US$500 million.
- Reuters Alertnet
- Brazilian President Luiz Incio Lula da Silva lands in Israel at the start of his Middle East tour of Palestine and Jordan before his visit to Iran.
- Brazilian President Luiz Incio Lula da Silva heavily criticises the "rich countries", the G8 and other international bodies over the global economic crisis.
- Brazil's former Environment minister Marina Silva joins the Green Party which wants to field her as a black female candidate for the 2010 Brazilian presidential race when President Lula's two terms comes to an end.
- President Luiz Incio Lula da Silva says that he will defend Brazil's record on global climate change when he addresses the United Nations General Assembly this week.
- Brazilian President Michel Temer abolishes the 46,000 sq km National Reserve of Copper and Associates (Renca) ecological reserve, which spans the borders of Amapa and Para states in northern Brazil. More than 20 domestic and multinational firms have expressed an interest in accessing the area's deposits of gold, copper, tantalum, iron ore, nickel and manganese.