China executes the former head of the State Food and Drug Association Zheng Xiaoyu for corruption.
China executed the former head of its State Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
- An Indian Air Force Mi-17 helicopter ferrying military officials crashes in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, a remote mountain region near the border with China, killing all seven personnel on board.
- The Peruvian Pedro Pablo Kuczynski Administration, through the Ministry of Justice, appoints a new head to the Direction of Presidential Graces, which is believed to be a first step towards granting a pardon to 79-year-old former president Alberto Fujimori (1990-2000), although President Kuczynski has denied it. In April 2009, a three-judge panel had sentenced Fujimori for acts of corruption, human rights violations, and various others crimes. Fujimori, who has been in jail since 2007 and whose health has deteriorated, including alleged tongue cancer, has applied for a pardon unsuccessfully on two occasions.
- China limits petroleum exports and bans imports of textiles from North Korea as part of new sanctions following the latest nuclear test.
- China's credit rating has been downgraded by Standard & Poor's (S&P) because of worries over the rapid build up of debt in the country.
- A magnitude 7.0 earthquake strikes Sichuan in southwest China, killing at least thirteen people and injuring more than 175.