Sri Lankan Tamil
A Tamil man from Sydney is charged with multiple terrorism charges over alleged links with the Tamil Tigers.
- Sydney Morning Herald
- Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Victorian Police raid premises across Victoria in relation to alleged financing of a terrorist organisation believed to be the Kurdish Workers Party. One of the premises raided was of the Kurdish Association of Victoria; the AFP also raids properties in Sydney and Perth.
- The Dutch Court of Appeal increases the sentence of a man who twice attempted to travel to Syria from 31 months partially suspended to 40 months. The man was previously convicted of preparing terrorist crimes and trying to participate in a terrorist organisation.
- A state of emergency is declared in New South Wales, Australia, as a bushfire continues to burn out of control. More than 500 personnel from the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW and the Australian Defence Force are tackling the bushfire, which has torn through the Holsworthy Barracks and threatens the suburbs of Sydney.
- A hot air balloon hits a tree near Sydney, Australia, wounding 16 people.
- Presenting a new national defense strategy, the United States Secretary of Defense, Jim Mattis, says terrorism is no longer the focus of the national security of the United States. Now it is competition between great powers.