Canada celebrates its 140th anniversary. Canada Day marks the creation of the Dominion of Canada through the British North America Act on July 1, 1867.
- Canada celebrates the sesquicentennial (150-year) anniversary of the Canadian Confederation.
- Canada's left-leaning New Democratic Party elects Jagmeet Singh its leader.
- Winston Blackmore and James Oler, leaders of a polygamist Mormon sect in Canada, are convicted.
- Six teenagers, four males and two females, from a Burundi robotics team are reported missing after competing in the FIRST Global Robotics Competition in Washington, D.C. A 16-year-old boy and a 17-year old girl reportedly crossed the United States border into Canada. There is no indication of foul play.
- A state of emergency is declared in Montreal, Canada as 1,200 Canadian Forces personnel are deployed in the province of Quebec to help with rising floodwaters. 146 communities are affected and more than 1,500 residents have been evacuated from their homes.