A helicopter crash in the Raveau forest near the town La Charit-sur-Loire in central France kills three people involved in the French Grand Prix and injures two.
A helicopter carrying people involved in the F1 French Grand Prix auto race has crashed in central France, killing three people and seriously injuring two, police and officials said.
- AFP via ABC News Australia
- Insurgents launch an attack on the strategic city of Gao, capturing a police station and sparking a day-long firefight that included Malian troops, as well as French attack helicopters.
- French and Australian rescue crews find four French nationals who died in a helicopter crash in Antarctica.
- Three bodies are found by rescuers at a crash site in Antarctica involving a French helicopter. A fourth person is still missing.
- A French military helicopter crashes off the coast of Gabon, killing at least seven people and rendering one other missing.
- The opposition movement in Venezuela seeks help from France.
- A 13-year-old girl is killed when a car is deliberately driven into a pizza restaurant's sidewalk cafe in Sept-Sorts, France. At least 12 other people are injured, four critically. The driver is arrested. Police do not believe the incident was terrorism-related.
- French ecology minister Nicolas Hulot announces France is to ban the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040.
- France plans to make vaccines mandatory for children in 2018.
- France nationalises the STX Europe-owned Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, Pays de la Loire, to prevent Italian shipbuilding firm Fincantieri taking majority control. Italian Minister of Economy and Finances Pier Carlo Padoan calls the French decision to nationalise the shipyard "grave and incomprehensible".
- Following a similar move in France, the United Kingdom is to ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2040 in order to reduce air pollution. A new tax will also be levied on diesel car drivers in 2020.