Racehorse Rags to Riches becomes the first filly to win the Belmont Stakes in 102 years by defeating Preakness winner Curlin.
- AP via The Citizen
- Curlin wins the Preakness Stakes, extending the Triple Crown drought to 29 years.
- Big Brown wins the 2008 Kentucky Derby. Eight Belles, the only filly in the field, breaks down after finishing second in the race, and is euthanized.
- Curlin wins the Breeders' Cup Classic at the Monmouth Park racecourse. In the same race, European star George Washington is euthanized after breaking down in the stretch.
- Belmont Stakes: Birdstone defeats Smarty Jones to prevent Smarty Jones from winning the United States Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing.
- Smarty Jones wins the Preakness Stakes by 12 lengths.
- Empire Maker wins the Belmont Stakes horse race, stopping the bid of Funny Cide to win the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing. Funny Cide is third, behind Ten Most Wanted (horse).
- Horse-racing: Funny Cide, the winner of the Kentucky Derby, wins the Preakness Stakes by 93 4 lengths.