Chinese police rescue 31 workers kept as slaves at a brickworks in Linfen, in Shanxi province, run by the son of a local official of the Communist Party of China.
- Reuters via News Limited
- A 56-vehicle pile-up on the G5 Beijing-Kunming Expressway in China's northern Shanxi province, leaves at least 17 people dead and 37 others injured.
- Luo Huining leaves his position as party chief of Qinghai and becomes party chief of Shanxi province, replacing Wang Rulin.
- Authorities in China sentence Huang Yu, a computer technician from Sichuan who worked for a government department which handled state secrets, to death for leaking more than 150,000 classified documents to an unidentified foreign power. The documents in question covered secrets ranging from the ruling Communist Party to military and financial issues.
- Wei Hong is removed as the Governor of China's Sichuan province due to perceived disloyalty to the Communist Party.
- The two-child policy takes effect in China, allowing couples in the country to have at most two children, replacing the controversial one-child policy. The change in law was announced by the ruling Communist Party on October 29 and passed the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress on December 27, five days prior to its effect.