At least 12 citizens of Oman are killed by Cyclone Gonu.
- Reuters via Australia
- Tens of thousands of people are evacuated from Oman as Cyclone Gonu arrives.
- Cyclone Gonu forces the Government of Oman to evacuate 7,000 people from Masirah Island, off the east coast of Oman.
- Oman receives 10 former detainees of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp following a request by the United States to take them.
- The Gulf Cooperation Council formally designates Lebanon's Hezbollah militia a terrorist organization. The GCC member states are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
- At least 18 people are killed and 16 others injured in a multi-vehicle accident involving a bus near Nahdah in northwestern Oman. Six of the dead were from Oman, four from Saudi Arabia, two from Pakistan, and one from Yemen. Five others are unidentified.
- Cyclone Chapala intensifies in the Arabian Sea as it heads towards Yemen and Oman which rarely experience tropical cyclones. The cyclone is expected to dump two years worth of rain on the normally arid Arabian Peninsula in two days.
- Flash floods leave 16 people dead and 3 others missing in Saudi Arabia, with authorities urging citizens to avoid low-lying wadis. At least two others were killed in neighboring Oman in some of the heaviest rainfall in more than 25 years.
- Oman is to spend 1 billion rials in an attempt to prevent further anti-government protests.
- Two government ministers in Oman are replaced amid ongoing demonstrations in the country.
- Somali pirates seize an oil supertanker off the coast of Oman.