Fresh clashes break out between protesters and police in Rostock, Germany prior to the 33rd G8 summit.
- AFP via News Limited
- Leaders of the G8 assemble in Rostock, Germany for the 33rd annual G8 summit to discuss primarily issues of climate change and international aid, but also U.S.-Russia tensions over an antimissile system in Europe.
- Thousands of protesters and antiglobalisation demonstrators gather in Rostock, Germany to protest the 33rd G8 summit to be held in Heiligendamm later in the week.
- Police and protesters battle during May Day demonstrations in Germany, Greece, and Turkey.
- The European X-ray free-electron laser is inaugurated in Hamburg, Germany.
- Large portions of Frankfurt, Germany, are evacuated as local authorities work to defuse a bomb left over from a Royal Air Force raid during World War II. The evacuation is the largest to occur in Europe since World War II.
- Turkey summons the ambassador of Germany after at least 10,000 people rally in Cologne in support of the referendum.
- Leaders from the Group of Twenty come together at the G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany, including United States President Donald Trump who is set to meet with President of Russia Vladimir Putin.
- A man shoots several people in a nightclub in Konstanz, Germany, killing one. The gunman was shot and killed by police.
- Eighteen people are dead after a bus collides with a truck in the German state of Bavaria.
- A two stage attack targeting police kills 5 officers and wounds 11 in the city of el-Arish. A later roadside bomb south of the city wounds a further 6 officers.