Fresh clashes break out between protesters and police in Rostock, Germany prior to the 33rd G8 summit.
- AFP via News Limited
- Leaders of the G8 assemble in Rostock, Germany for the 33rd annual G8 summit to discuss primarily issues of climate change and international aid, but also U.S.-Russia tensions over an antimissile system in Europe.
- Thousands of protesters and antiglobalisation demonstrators gather in Rostock, Germany to protest the 33rd G8 summit to be held in Heiligendamm later in the week.
- Police and protesters battle during May Day demonstrations in Germany, Greece, and Turkey.
- The European X-ray free-electron laser is inaugurated in Hamburg, Germany.
- Large portions of Frankfurt, Germany, are evacuated as local authorities work to defuse a bomb left over from a Royal Air Force raid during World War II. The evacuation is the largest to occur in Europe since World War II.