Hong Kong celebrates the tenth anniversary of the handover from the United Kingdom to the People's Republic of China.
- Protests mark the 20th anniversary of the transfer of sovereignty over Hong Kong to China from the United Kingdom alongside the arrival of Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Thousands of people march in Hong Kong to demand the Legislative Council reject a China backed proposal for the naming of candidates for Chief Executive be done by a nominating committee.
- At least 25 people are dead in Hong Kong and southern China after Typhoon Usagi passes through with the storm having killed eight people in the Philippines.
- Hong Kong and China's Guangdong Province is hit by Category 4 Typhoon Vicente, resulting in scores of people injured, cancellation of flights and closure of businesses.
- Chinese Vice-Premier Li Keqiang visits Hong Kong on a three-day official tour; observers indicate that this solidifies his status as the next Premier of China.
- Pope Benedict XVI ordains five new bishops, including a Chinese prelate from Hong Kong despite attempts by China's official church to ordain bishops without his approval.
- Customs officials in Hong Kong seize a haul of cocaine worth US$33.4m bound for China, originating from Bolivia.
- Hundreds of people march in Hong Kong to demand the release of Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo ahead of the Nobel Prize ceremony on Friday.
- Three people are arrested in China's Guangdong Province in relation to a $90 million gold heist, the biggest in Hong Kong history.
- A book written by Chinese dissident Yu Jie critical of Premier Wen Jiabao goes on sale in Hong Kong, with threats of imprisonment from the mainland.