Spanish scientists find fossil evidence of humans living in Europe over a million years ago in Burgos, Spain.
- Xinhua via the Hindu
- Fitch Ratings lowers France's rating outlook while maintaining a AAA rating and puts the grades of six nations including Spain and Italy on review due to Europe's failure to find a solution to the debt problem.
- Europe is hit by heavy snowfall leading to disruptions in France, Germany, Poland and Spain.
- A European windstorm across France and Spain kills 15 people with hurricane-force winds.
- MareNostrum, Europe's most powerful (and the world's fourth most powerful) supercomputer, is booted up for the first time in the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain.
- Carles Puigdemont, ex-President of Catalonia, travels to Denmark while Spanish Attorney General requests the European Arrest Warrant. The Speaker of the Catalan Parliament appoints Puigdemont to be invested as President. Spain's Supreme Court refuses to reactivate the arrest warrant.