Spanish scientists find fossil evidence of humans living in Europe over a million years ago in Burgos, Spain.
- Xinhua via the Hindu
- Fitch Ratings lowers France's rating outlook while maintaining a AAA rating and puts the grades of six nations including Spain and Italy on review due to Europe's failure to find a solution to the debt problem.
- Europe is hit by heavy snowfall leading to disruptions in France, Germany, Poland and Spain.
- A European windstorm across France and Spain kills 15 people with hurricane-force winds.
- MareNostrum, Europe's most powerful (and the world's fourth most powerful) supercomputer, is booted up for the first time in the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain.
- Spain's third largest bank, CaixaBank, announces it is moving its legal base out of Catalonia to Valencia. This follows a similar move yesterday by Catalan banking group Banco Sabadell who announced they are moving their headquarters to Alicante in response to growing political insecurity in Catalonia.