Apple Inc. releases the iPhone to great fanfare.
- Apple Inc. releases the iOS 11 update for most current models of the iPhone and iPad.
- Federal prosecutors announce the case against Apple Inc., concerning encrypted data on an iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters, has been dropped since the FBI has found a means to access the data without compromising any information on the phone.
- John McAfee, creator of the anti-virus software McAfee, Inc. and former CEO, offers to unlock an iPhone that belonged to San Bernardino attacker Syed Farook for the FBI for free after Apple Inc. refused to comply with a court order asking it to unlock the device. McAfee said "It will take us three weeks," with access to a super-computer in an article published by the "Business Insider".
- Samsung concedes to surrender $548 million to Apple Inc. over previously court-held ruling in patent dispute over copying the look of the iPhone.
- The U.S. International Trade Commission sides with Apple against a claim by Google that Apple's popular iPhones violate a Google patent.