The death toll of the June 2007 United Kingdom floods rises to six, with Northern England and the English Midlands hardest hit.
Latest breaking news, including politics, crime and celebrity. Find stories, updates and expert opinion.
- The Telegraph
- Archaeologists discover a cache of Roman Britain-era artefacts, including weapons, at an ancient Roman cavalry barracks near Hadrian's Wall in northern England. Archaeologists liken the discovery to winning the lottery.
- The Met Office issues warnings for parts of Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland as Storm Barbara prepares to make landfall.
- Philip Dilley, chairman of the UK's Environment Agency resigns after receiving heavy criticism for not returning from a family holiday in Barbados during the recent heavy floods in Northern England and Scotland.
- The United Kingdom's Met Office issues two new severe weather warnings for wind and rain covering across much of Scotland and Northern England beginning 6 a.m. Wednesday.
- Thousands of people are evacuated from their homes as flood waters continue to rise across large parts of northern England, with York particularly badly affected.
- Heavy rain from the fifth officially named storm of the season leads to serious flooding across Lancashire and Yorkshire in northern England.
- A national alert is issued in the United Kingdom about a strain of gonorrhea that is highly drug resistant after 15 cases are reported in northern England.
- Heavy snowfall in northern England leads to the closures of hundreds of schools, roads and Manchester Airport.
- A wild storm hits Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland leaving up to 14,000 people without power in western Scotland.
- A major clear-up operation begins after a month's worth of rain falls in 24 hours, causing flooding across parts of northern England.