Illegal immigration to the United States
A bill to legalize millions of illegal immigrants living in the United States is defeated in the United States Senate.
- AP via the Houston Chronicle
- Mexican federal police and migration agents find 136 migrants in a locked truck abandoned near a freeway in Veracruz. Without water or food, the people from the countries of Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, including dozens of minors, were "en route" to the United States.
- The United States federal government shuts down after the United States Senate fails to pass a budget bill.
- The United States Senate and House of Representatives pass the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, which sends it to United States President Donald Trump for signing. This comes after a previous and different version of this legislation was passed by the House yesterday. The law removes the individual insurance mandate from Obamacare.
- The United States House of Representatives passes the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 by 227 votes to 203. After being sent to the United States Senate for a vote, the Senate's parliamentarian found that several provisions in the House bill violated Senate rules, which forced the House of Representatives to call a second vote on an altered version of the legislation that has the violating provisions removed. The second vote by the House of Representatives is expected to take place on December 20, 2017.
- A hearing in the U.S. Senate is held about alleged human rights violations in the Philippines's war against illegal drugs.