Army of Islam
The militant group Army of Islam, holding BBC Middle East correspondent Alan Johnston captive, renews its threat to kill him.
- The Palestinian Army of Islam militant group posts a video of the BBC's kidnapped Middle East correspondent, Alan Johnston, on a website.
- A bid to force publication of an internal BBC review of its Middle East coverage, "EastEnders" and "Top Gear" is rejected in the British High Court of Justice.
- BBC reporter Alan Johnston, held captive in Gaza for nearly four months, is released.
- Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar issues an ultimatum to the Palestinian Army of Islam to free kidnapped BBC journalist Alan Johnston or face military action.
- A BBC study finds that, October 2017 lc=y, the Taliban presently maintains control of or has some territorial presence in 70% of Afghanistan, with full control of 14 districts (totaling 4% of the country) and demonstrating an open physical militant presence in 263 others (encompassing the remaining 66% of the group's occupied territory).