Conoco Phillips and ExxonMobil reject a deal with PDVSA, the nationalised oil company of Venezuela, over the future participation in development of reserves in the Orinoco Belt.
- Venezuela defaults on sovereign debt and bonds issued by state oil firm PDVSA (Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A.).
- Guyana rejects the latest objections raised by neighboring Venezuela over the granting to ExxonMobil Corp. of an oil and gas concession in Caribbean waters claimed by both nations.
- ExxonMobil wins US$908 million from an arbitration panel of the International Chamber of Commerce for the nationalization of its Venezuelan oil project in 2007.
- United States Senator Dick Durbin visits Venezuela to negotiate the release of Joshua Holt, who has been detained for two years awaiting trial on a weapons charge. The United States has been critical of his prosecution.
- An attempted prison break and subsequent rioting and fires at a police station in Valencia, Carabobo State, Venezuela, results in at least 68 people dead. Two women who were visiting inmates are thought to be among the dead. Prosecutor General Tarek Saab says an investigation into what has happened would begin immediately.