Two armed robbers are holding several people hostage in a Crdit Lyonnais bank in Paris.
- A Libyan spokesperson says two Italian hostages are freed by local fighters from Islamic State custody in Sabratha, Libya. He also confirms that two other Italian hostages were recently killed during local forces clashes with IS militants.
- A man who took four firefighters hostage in Suwanee, Georgia, United States, is killed in a gun battle with police.
- A gunman kills a school bus driver and holds a 6-year-old boy hostage in an underground bunker in Midland City, Alabama, United States.
- Japanese police rescue four hostages from a Toyokawa Shinkin bank and arrest the knife-wielding man who had held them captive for more than 12 hours while demanding that Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda resign.
- A hostage situation in the northern city of Thessaloniki, Greece, ends peacefully, as policemen arrest a 72-year-old Greek pensioner who was threatening to set a tax office building on fire due to a financial dispute.
- The al-Qaeda Organization in the Islamic Maghreb executes British hostage Edwin Dwyer in the Sahara.
- The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta refuses to release British hostage Matthew Maguire.
- The Niger Delta Emancipation Movement claims that Nigeria's military killed one of its hostages during an operation.
- The Balochistan Liberation United Front releases United Nations official John Solecki from captivity in Quetta, Pakistan.
- The Naxalite movement releases 500 hostages from a hijacked train in Latehar, India.