Papua New Guinea
A candidate in the forthcoming Papua New Guinea election is charged with attempted murder of Deputy Prime Minister Don Polye.
One of the candidates in Papua New Guinea's elections has been charged with attempting to murder the country's deputy Prime Minister.
- ABC News Australia
- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake strikes off the coast of New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea, at a depth of 35 km. There are no reports of immediate damage. [http:--www.bbc.com-news-world-asia-43592321 (BBC)
- A magnitude 7.5 earthquake occurs at the western Southern Highlands Province in Papua New Guinea, killing at least 31 people and injuring more than 300 others.
- All residents are evacuated, 500 of them to the nearby island of Blup Blup, while the once-dormant Kadovar volcano in the Schouten Islands, Papua New Guinea, erupts for the first known time, sending an ash cloud 2.1 km above sea level.
- The parliament of Papua New Guinea re-elects Peter O'Neill as Prime Minister, ending a chaotic election campaign marred by violence, which analysts fear may continue amid widespread voter unrest.
- Polling places open in Papua New Guinea, and will remain open for two weeks, to elect all 111 members of the National Parliament. The People's National Congress led by Prime Minister Peter O'Neill is considered likely to maintain a governing coalition, despite uncertainty due to lack of opinion polling.