New negotiations begin between Morocco and the Polisario.
- Herald Sun via Reuters
- In a bid to end the armed conflict with Morocco, the Polisario Front independence movement in Western Sahara frees its last 404 Moroccan prisoners of war, many of them having been held for almost two decades.
- In Rabat, Morocco, some 30.000 protesters march to call for release of prisoners of war held by Polisario in Algeria.
- Approximately fifty migrants are feared drowned off the coast of Morocco. Three men were rescued near Alboran Island near the coast of Spain.
- The oldest fossil records of "Homo sapiens" are discovered in Jebel Irhoud, Morocco, dated at between 300,000 and 350,000 years old. The earliest "Homo sapiens" fossils had been dated as 200,000 years old.
- The Moroccan Assembly of Representatives votes 208 to 91 in favor of approving of a coalition cabinet led by Saadeddine Othmani.
- Nearly five hundred African migrants swarm the border of Spain from Morocco.
- Morocco rejoins the African Union after a 33-year absence, despite opposition from several member states over the political status of Western Sahara.
- Voters in Morocco go to the polls for a general election with the ruling Justice and Development Party winning the most seats.
- Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says he plans to ban immigration from Afghanistan, Iraq, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Somalia, Syria, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
- Morocco formally announces it wishes to rejoin the African Union 32 years after leaving over its recognition of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic in Western Sahara.