Tupua Tamasese Tupuola Tufuga Efi is chosen as the O le Ao o le Malo of Samoa by the Fono.
- AAP via News Limited
- Samoa's Legislative Assembly appoints Tuimalealiifano Va'aletoa Sualauvi II as O le Ao o le Malo, or Head of State. He will succeed Tufuga Efi, the country's head of state since 2007, on July 25.
- Samoan authorities prepared for Severe Tropical Cyclone Amos which is forecast to make landfall later tonight.
- Voters in Samoa go to the polls for a general election.
- Cyclone Evan bears down on Fiji, disrupting international flights after leaving at least 4 people dead in Samoa with 8 others missing.
- Cyclone Evan heads towards Fiji after causing at least three deaths and widespread damage in Samoa.
- Tropical Cyclone Evan makes landfall near the Samoan capital Apia causing at least two deaths and the declaration of a state of disaster.
- O le Ao o le Malo Tufuga Efi is re-elected unopposed by the Parliament of Samoa.
- Samoa announces the pardon of 35 prisoners to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its independence from New Zealand.
- One New Zealand tourist is dead and another missing after a family of six is swept away in a flash flood of the Vaisigano River in the Samoan capital Apia.
- The Pacific Island nations of Samoa and Tokelau move from east to west of the International Date Line in order to align their time zone better with their main trading partners, meaning that they will not mark December 30 this year.