Mike Nifong is disbarred in the U.S. state of North Carolina for his role in the prosecution of the 2006 Duke University lacrosse case.
- AP via WRAL
- Mike Nifong, facing disbarment for his actions in the 2006 Duke University lacrosse case, agrees to resign his position as district attorney for Durham County in the U.S. state of North Carolina.
- The U.S. state of North Carolina bans same-sex marriage.
- The General Assembly of the U.S. state of North Carolina votes on a motion to veto override by the Governor Bev Perdue of the state budget.
- The corpse of missing 10-year-old Australian girl Zahra Baker is found in Caldwell County in the U.S. state of North Carolina; her father and stepmother, Adam and Elisa Baker, are the main suspects in her disappearance and homicide.
- The U.S. state of North Carolina orders the evacuation of Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island ahead of Hurricane Earl.