Switzerland opens the world's longest rail tunnel on land, the 34-kilometre Ltschberg tunnel under the Alps.
- The Gotthard Base Tunnel in the Swiss Alps becomes the world's longest railway tunnel, as final breakthrough occurs on the east bore.
- One person is killed and 42 injured after a Swiss tourist train derails in the Alps.
- Swiss engineers blast through the Lotschberg Tunnel through the Alps from Germany to Italy. The tunnel will be ready for traffic in two years.
- Two trains collide in Andermatt railway station in the Canton of Uri, Switzerland, injuring around 30 people.
- At least five people are injured, two seriously, after a man attacks people with a chainsaw in Schaffhausen, Switzerland. A manhunt is underway for the suspect.