Indonesia claims that it has captured Jemaah Islamiyah leader Zarkarsih.
Indonesia has captured the head of Southeast Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiyah, the chief of the country’s anti-terrorist unit said Friday.
- Reuters via MSNBC
- Zarkasih, the leader of the Islamic militant organisation Jemaah Islamiyah, goes on trial in Indonesia on terrorism charges.
- Indonesian police claim to have arrested Abu Dujana, the military leader of the Jemaah Islamiyah responsible for the 2002 Bali bombings.
- Indonesian police shoot dead a suspected member of Jemaah Islamiyah, wound three people and arrest others in an anti-terrorist raid.
- A car bomb explodes outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, killing 9 people (according to the BBC) and wounding 180. Jemaah Islamiyah, the Southeast Asian terrorist group connected with Al Qaeda, is believed responsible.
- Indonesia: An Indonesian court sentences Muslim cleric Abu Bakar Bashir to four years in prison for treason against the Indonesian government. However, the court found insufficient proof that Bashir was the leader of the militant Islamic organization Jemaah Islamiyah.