An explosion at the Al-Askari Mosque in Samarra, Iraq is reported to have destroyed two of its minarets.
- Reuters Alertnet
- United States forces claim that they have killed Haitham al-Badri, the leader of al-Qaeda in Salahuddin province in Iraq and believed to be the man responsible for the bombing of the Al-Askari Mosque in Samarra in June.
- Seven people are killed and 13 are injured after suicide bombers hit a state-run power station near the northern city of Samarra, Iraq. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claims responsibility for the attack.
- Suicide bombers strike in the cities of Tikrit and Samarra in Iraq, killing at least 21.
- Iraqi engineers warn that the Mosul Dam could collapse at anytime, resulting in a catastrophic flash flood that could kill up to one million people along the Tigris, with the major Iraqi cites of Mosul, Tikrit, Samarra and Baghdad all at risk. The U.S. embassy in Baghdad has urged American citizens to leave the area.
- Iraqi officials claim that ISIL have shot down a military helicopter near Samarra, killing both pilots.