- The V150, a modified TGV train, breaks the land speed record for railed vehicles on the new Paris-Strasbourg LGV Est line with 574.8 km-h (357.2 mph).
- An Italian journalist to the European Parliament who was wounded during a terrorist attack in Strasbourg, France, dies of his injuries, raising the death toll to four.
- A gunman kills three people and injures 12 others in a mass shooting in Strasbourg, France, during the annual Christmas market. The shooter flees the scene but is identified by police as a known extremist. The incident is being treated as an act of terrorism.
- Violent clashes between French police and protesters last well into the night on the Champs-Élysées in Paris over rising fuel taxes.
- The French railway company SNCF announces prototypes for driverless passenger and freight trains by 2023.