Launched in 2015 by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), AstroSat is the first dedicated astronomy satellite of India which helped find black hole spinning near maximum possible rates.
- India Times
- India Today (Image)
- NASA announces that the Chandra X-ray Observatory and ground-based telescopes have discovered a massive supernova designated SN 2006gy, the largest ever recorded, and possibly a new type that has been predicted but never observed.
- NASA's "Dawn" spacecraft exhausts all of its hydrazine fuel propellant and without a functioning maneuvering system enters into uncontrolled motion around dwarf planet Ceres, thus ending its 11-year mission.
- NASA's "Parker Solar Probe" spacecraft becomes the closest ever sent to the sun, by passing 42.7 million km (26.6 million miles) from the sun's surface. The previous record was set in 1976 by the "Helios 2" spacecraft. Parker's elliptical orbit will eventually take it to within 6.1 million km (3.8 million miles) of the sun.
- NASA announces that the "Kepler" spacecraft has expended all its fuel and will be retired after nearly 10 years of service, having found more than 2,600 exoplanets.
- Wolf 503b, a super-Earth exoplanet twice the size of Earth, is discovered orbiting Wolf 503 ru 503 145 light years away by American, German, and Canadian researchers via the NASA Kepler Space Telescope.